Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Integrating Google Docs with my application

I was able to successfully integrate Google Spreadsheets into my website. This gives my users an online spreadsheet experience they had been asking for a long time. It helps them work offline on MS-Excel and then be able to share it online. Google Spreadhseets integration has had some challenges, but eventually I was able to do it. The main issue that I faced was figuring out which API to use, whether to use the Docs API or to utilize the Spreadsheet APIs. Eventually I figured out where to use what. Also a big missing feature in the APIs is the ability to publish the speadsheet programmatically. Wish that the Google team includes this feature quickly.

4 comments:

Ashish said...

hi Abhinav,

I have the same requirment of integrating Google docs with my web App, can you please how did u do it in detail.
Thanks in advance.

Abhi said...

I will write up another post detailing on how I integrated Google Apps in my application.

Abhi said...

Ashish,

You can go through my posts on July 22nd and 23rd to get a detailed description on Google Docs integration.

Ramit said...

Hey just need to ask one thing. Have u implemented push notifications in the spreadsheet. Suppose your document is shared with some users and one of them modifies it, do u get notified immediately via push in that?