Monday, June 14, 2010

Using Eclipse WTP for SOAP based Web Services

I have started using Apache Axis2 as a standard engine for SOAP based web-services. To make my job easy(super easy) I am utilizing the WTP project for Eclipse IDE.
While I am still at a learning stage, I came across this tutorial that gave me a good understanding of the platform and explained on a quick example of building and deploying a SOAP based web-service. It also created a small test client for the Axis2 web service runtime.

I had a couple of issues while setting up the service, few libraries were missing and an entry in the web.xml had to be changed. Here are my notes:
1. If the server throws NoClassDef error for "AxisAdminServlet", go to web.xml and change the entry to point to org.apache.axis2.webapp.AxisAdminServlet.
2. You need to add httpcore-x.x.jar, XMLBean's jars and JAX-WS's jars if they are not already present in your CLASSPATH.

To create a Axis web service runtime, you can follow this tutorial.

Notice the difference in the stub and skeleton classes that both the runtimes create.

No comments: